Sport speed expert Ranell Hobson will take you through the knowledge and skills you need to coach linear and multidirectional speed to maximise player performance. You will gain an understanding of the science foundations behind explosive speed and learn how to maximise every players potential while decreasing their risk of injury. This is 8-hour online course includes the coaching of technical and physical competencies and provides you with drills which can be implemented into training and coaching programs immediately.
The course contains 4 webinar style slide presentations, 13 practical videos and 2 selfdirected practical sessions. This course covers everything you need to build explosive speed
in your athletes.
- Coaching skills, being a coach/educator, using the What How Why, and Tell, Show, Do
methods of instruction
- How to use your athletes Warm up as an everyday Assessment tool and provide exercises
to remedy gaps in movement competencies.
- Improving speed performance, Player efficiency and Reducing injury risk through technical
proficiency and movement competency.
- Coaching mechanics for both linear speed and change of direction speed
- Physical qualities for speed such as strength, power, mobility, elasticity, postural integrity
and dynamic stability which all contribute to the achievement of next level explosiveness.
Within this course you receive
- Course Welcome video file
- Course Manual (Instructions for completion and all theory presentations)
- Coaching Speed Module (recorded webinar, practical video files and 15 Question quiz)
- Linear Speed Module (recorded webinar, practical video files and 15 Question quiz)
- Multi-directional Speed Module (recorded webinar, practical video files and 15 Question quiz)
- Speed Physicality Module (recorded webinar, practical video files and 15 Question quiz)
- Linear Speed Practical session
- Multi-directional Practical Session
- Practical Self-Assessment Performance criteria guide.
- Price: $242
Each of the 4 modules is presented visually including real world examples and applications of the source material. You will feel like you are in your own classroom and Ranell is your personal tutor. You can easily rewind important information or replay at your leisure to ensure that your learning environment is at your own pace, in the comfort of your own home. You can also download the videos to your desktop computer for transfer to your tablet or smart phone .
Online Practical Workshop
Ranell has created an incredible Explosive Speed Practical Workshop for you to complete in your own time. This is the perfect complement to the theory presentations, it includes two x one-hour sessions (Linear Speed and Multi-directional Speed) as well as a detailed Performance assessment guide. Upon successful completion you will have the ability to demonstrate and assess athlete’s technical performance across world leading speed drills.
Personal Course Manual
You will be provided (via download) with the Course Manual which includes all slides from the video presentation as well as space for you to write comments and/or take notes next to each image. This manual is yours to keep and will become an incredibly valuable resource that you will enjoy referring to throughout your coaching career.
Module 1: Coaching Sport Speed
- The importance of speed in sport
- That coaches should be focussed on educating athletes
- How to use your athletes Warm up as an everyday Assessment tool
- What exercises to use to remedy gaps in movement competencies
- The importance of speed
- The importance of agility
- Difference between speed and force
- Difference between internal and external cuing
- The importance of technical training in speed
- How to improve the energy efficiency of players
- What sport speed coaching includes
- The pillars of speed (mechanics, body composition and physicality)
Module 2: Linear Speed
- Specific Linear Speed Terminology
- The pillars of Linear speed
- The importance of Posture
- Difference between Acceleration and Top Speed
- What to look for and How to Coach Acceleration mechanics
- What to look for when coaching linear speed mechanics
- How to coach Foot strike for maximum force delivery
- How to coach Foot recovery for maintenance of front side mechanics
- How to coach the complete Stride Cycle for efficiency and maximum horizontal propulsion
- How to coach max velocity sprinting
- What to look for in the Arm action of athletes
- When and how to use technical drills
- The importance of training top speed in sport field athletes
- The benefits of training top speed in sport field athletes
Module 3: Multi-Directional Speed
- Multidirectional Speed Terminology
- Pillars of Multidirectional speed
- Difference between COD, Agility & Manoeuvrability
- Coaching COD, Agility & Manoeuvrability
- What contributes to perfect mechanics for COD performance
- Tests for COD, Agility and Manoeuvrability
- Best coaching practice for transition to game
- Example session and drills
Module 4: Building Physical Qualities for Speed
- Physical Qualities required for explosive speed
- Qualities of Mobility (Joint ROM, Motor Control, Muscle extensibility)
- Anterior pelvic tilt and dysfunction
- Restrictions in joint function and risks to athlete
- How to maximise stretch reflex and elastic qualities
- Benefits of Plyometric training
- Plyometric training progressions
- Need for eccentric strength
- Strength training for speed foundations
- How to develop the athletic Core
- Core Training – Adaptation focus
- Importance of body composition in speed performance
About the Author and Presenter:
Ranell Hobson has been involved in Strength and Speed Coaching & Coach Education for over 25 years. Ranell has a passion for explosive speed, athletic function and maximising performance. She recently was awarded the ASCA 2019 Performance Development Coach of the Year at the Annual International S & C Conference where she has presented at consecutively since 2018.
As the Head Coach at ASSA Ranell develops the athleticism and speed of athletes across a myriad of sports including but not limited to: Athletics, Netball, Soccer, Rugby League, AFL, Baseball, Softball and Basketball.
Ranell has a Masters degree in Sport Coaching, a Bachelors degree in Sport Science & Coaching & is a highly experienced Strength & Conditioning coach ASCA L2 Pro & CSCS. Ranell’s speciality is in Sprint Mechanics and Strength and Conditioning for Speed.
At the Academy (ASSA) Ranell assesses an athlete’s overall athletic function and running mechanics. Her programs address movement function, mobility and stability, strength and technical competencies in both linear and multi-directional speed. By assisting athletes in this specialised way, she works with their full-time coaches to minimise injuries & maximise on-field performance.
Ranell has also been the Strength and Conditioning coach of the GWS Fury Premier League Netball franchise since 2016. In 2019 she started working with the NSW Baseball HighPerformance Team and they have since recorded the greatest number of sub 7 second 60 yard time trial results in their history, resulting in million dollar MLB contracts being signed.
Ranell is an award-winning educator & presenter, travelling worldwide to conduct her Running, Speed, and athletic development Coaching courses, Player Clinics and Assessments.
Ranell is also an internationally respected masters athlete, specialising in the 60 & 100m sprints, winning medals and titles at World, Oceania, National and State levels for over 15 years.
Ranell brings to her workshops and courses an environment that facilitates discussion and coach interaction, where evidence-based coaching is paramount and participation is encouraged.